Sunday, August 28, 2011

Thank You Hurricane Irene?

So on Friday to celebrate our final night together, or so we thought, Michelle and I went to to the famous Museo Nacional del Prado followed by some Paella and Sangria! 


Free tickets after 6pm!

Liked this fountain, Fuente de Neptuno

We tried, but our big heads covered up the fountain.

Since she couldn´t eat the paella with her allergies, she played with her alternate option haha.


Saturday

We checked the weather continuously, expecting that it was wise to try to predict if there would be a potential cancellation of the flight.  Thanks to Aunt Karis´s email I was aware there was even a hurricane...or as Michelle tried to describe it in Spanish ¨big storm.¨  We wake up Saturday morning, flight still showing on time and weather looking like the flight could land before the storm hit the DC area.  Michelle´s WYD friend stopped by to drop off his stuff, so he wouldn´t have to carry it around Madrid, as they were taking off for France that afternoon.  I told him, ´´if you see me again today, that´s not a good thing.´´

Michelle and I arrive at the airport to see a big flashing red sign saying my flight to the states had been cancelled.  I called up United to get my alternate options (I previously had researched so had a general idea) and was told I could go through Toronto to Chicago...I was like put me on that flight.  This lady was great, first she didn´t understand my flight was canceled because that didn´t show in their system, then to make it better she was going to try to put me on a flight connecting through Charlotte...I don´t think she truly understood the hurricane issue.  As the lady on the phone was finalizing the information, we go to the ticket counter and confirmed my updated flight.  Next we went over to Air Canada to check-in.

Air Canada said, we don´t have a reservation for you in our system.  What!?!  How is that possible, we confirmed on the phone and in person.  Yup, back to United to see the guy we saw before going to Air Canada we went and wow this guy was truly not helpful.  It was the first time I think my sister had ever said, ´´No, you will listen to me.´´  Ok, it was in Spanish so it sounded that much cooler.  We got motioned to come to another line, where I was told the Toronto flight was booked.  I explained I was confirmed and they pulled it up in the system.  Yes, of course they could print me the itenerary I was booked on (though the previous guy said he couldn´t), but apparently I didn´t have a confirmed seat and the flight was overbooked.  So there are some uncertainties, as I know coming from the US to Madrid they told me I couldn´t even fly standby due to it being international...o well.  Therefore, it was off to looking at other options.  At this point, I said just get me back to the states.  I figure, I know enough people throughout the US, so that was the best option.  They said at that point, there was no other flights available even connecting through other countries.  My next best option was to get put on the Tuesday flight, since by this time the Monday one was full.  O and did I mention, as Michelle and I were talking to the people we had a lovely group behind us who stated that we had cut, never waited in line, blah, blah, blah?  I was thinking, wow their being pretty rude, but I think the point that I really was offended/annoyed beyond caring was when one of the guys said I hope they do book you on a flight and it crashes.

So now the current plan is back to the states Tuesday...followed by Kentucky on Wednesday.  On a plus, they put me up in a hotel, which was good because my current accomodations were going to disappear.  I was going to try to go with my sister for part of her trip, but that became a little too complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment